Why SEO & UX Matter The Most?
Most of us have so much research in SEO and come up with different thoughts. Out of that, the most common is –
Keywords + Unique Content + Meta = higher ranking
I think most of us will agree with us that this is going to work for every type of website.
But this is not 100% accurate!
In the past UX and SEO were considered as a separate entity, but today’s digital landscape is totally different.
Search engines keep reforming its algorithm to provide the best result to the user. Now a days, search engines evaluate your website on 200+ factors to determine your position in SERP on targeted keywords. The most important part is user experience with your website. In case, users facing challenges with your website, you will not be able to achieve a better position on SERP.
What is User Experience (UX)?
For a website user experience matters the most. User experience is nothing but how users feel while exploring different pages of your website/blog. There are multiple questions that decide UX of your website –
- Is your website easy to open?
- Are users easy to navigate through your website?
- Are users/customers facing any responsive issue?
- Are users/customers interacting perfectly with your digital content?
- Have you developed your website by focusing on the end customer?
UX is much more than what users say. This is more about what they need, what they value and why it is important to them?
Before starting optimization and doing SEO you should ask this question.
Will users care about your content?
Whatever the content you are publishing on your website or blog you should check – will this content be useful, valuable, and credible to them.
If it is not useful to the user, then nobody is going to engage with your content and not be able to retain users on your site.
- Ease of use -In case your website is complex to use, you will have a high bounce rate. The best is to perform the usability test. This test can be performed by any anonymous user. This helps you to get the insights on usability and accessibility.
- User interaction & comfort -The UX is more dependent on users feeling on each interaction. If your page user interface (UI) is perfect i.e. proper section for branding, logo, content and image, users will love it and on each interaction feel engaged with your content.
Also, while exploring the site, how are users able to find the required information? Are they facing challenges to identify the information?
Always adopt the human centered approach while creating websites. The more you focus on user experience the more visitors you are going to have.
What is the correlation between UX and SEO?
Search engines are rapidly evolving as a perfect platform to provide the most accurate result to users. Now, SEO is all about user experience.
In the last couple of years, Google introduced so many algorithms to improve the search behavior. The most famous changes are –
- Humming Bird
- Google Mobile-Friendly Update
- Google Medic update
- Google BERT Algorithm Update
Now, Google is more concerned with user experience. To evaluate this Google started giving importance to both “SEO”and “User-Experience”. If website SEO is good and takes perfect care of users, then the website will have better visibility.
Role of elements regarding SEO and UX?
UX + UX = Higher Ranking
- Heading– Headings are ranging from H1 to H6, and this tells search engine crawlers and users the hierarchy of the content. As per the search engine guideline, a page must have only one H1 tag. Users can easily judge the main heading of the page.
Apart from that, there are certain other heading tags, and web pages can have any no. of them. However, use it properly by keeping in mind the user experience.
- Website structure and navigation– The website must have proper navigation that helps users to navigate to any page of a site from any page. Most of the website is not focusing on the navigation and that leads to various issues in crawling and indexing over a search engine. Even users feel complexity to navigate deeper into the website.
Website with proper structure helps the user to explore any page easily and navigate throughout the website. Also very beneficial to get search engine indexing with sitelinks. Based on the navigation and site structure, the search engine algorithm automatically indexes all the pages.
- Page size and loading time – Web pages with low loading time get better indexing in comparison to high. And users also like it because they do not have to wait for a longer period to site or web page.
Website loading time is one of the most important elements of Google ranking algorithm.
There are various platforms and tools are available that help to check the loading time of the website. The most popular are Google PageSpeed Insight tool and GT Metrix. These tools seem to be perfect to get the insight on major issues that increase your loading time over desktop and mobile devices.
- Mobile experience – Mobile experience is important for both user and search engine crawler
- Loading speed
- Navigation and hierarchy
Apart from that, mobile friendliness is considered to be the most important ranking factor for a website. In the year 2018 Google rolled out “Mobile First Indexing” algorithm and all significance will go to the mobile-friendly website.
Based on the technology development, most of us prefer to use a mobile phone to explore the website. To provide a better user experience, search engines give more importance to mobile-friendly/responsive sites.
By reading this blog, you get a detailed overview of how search engine optimization and user experience is significance to rank higher over a search engine.
Start evaluating your website on the factors mentioned above and check how you are balancing SEO and user experience(UX).